Monday, October 4, 2010

A Typical Month in the Life of a [OCD] Retiree

In the five years since I retired I have found that for me happiness and contentment comes from being fully engaged in life and its many opportunities.  No fishin' hole for me, no sir.  Take a look at my "to do" list for October.

October 2010 Master Task List

Church
--Home teach my 8 families
--Compile and submit high priest home teaching report for Sept '10
--Update the ward MLS data base on home teaching
--Visit the sick and needy
--Coordinate high priest quarterly temple day, 9 Oct
--Hold weekly high priest leadership coordination meeting with my assistants and secretary
--Conduct quarterly stewardship interviews with the 10 home teachers I supervise
--Generate family names to take to the temple
--Participate as assistant temple shift coordinator in weekly coordination meeting via telephone
--Work on personal writings "Why I Believe"
--Hold daily personal devotions and scripture study

Family/Friends
--Work on pictorial tribute to my mother
--Work on "In the event of my death..." to do list for Melba should I suddenly expire
--Work on "Notes to My Grandchildren" writing
--Renew Melba's passport
--Start thinking about Christmas gifts
--Update grand-kids' photos on piano and mantle

Home/yard maintenance
--Mow and edge lawn each week until it shuts down for the winter
--Finish planting our spring bulbs (Shawn the gardener's assignment)
--Cut up pile of branches in trash area
--Finish demossing the roof (Shawn)
--Clean patio brick to remove moss and mold (Shawn)
--Prune front yard bushes (Shawn)

Emergency preparation
--Restock 72 hour kits
--Increase water storage by 10 gallons
--Move long term storage cans back upstairs

Other
--Practice guitar (acoustic, classical or electric) and banjo
--Play video games for relaxation
--Exercise daily--walking, strength training with free weights

Above all else, consider my eternal sweetheart first and foremost, making time for her and attending to her needs


From this list I compile a weekly list and from that a daily list.

"If you fail to plan, you plan to fail"

"Plan your life, then live your plan."

"If ye are prepared, ye shall not fear."

4 comments:

  1. Wow- you have 8 Home Teaching families?? That's a lot of work right there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our stake president eliminated "do not contact" lists and said every family is to be assigned a home teacher and that we should contact our families as much or as little as they will allow. Some we visit, some we call, and some we can only pray for--but everyone has a home teacher. We've already seen some wonderful results which I will probably blog on at a later date.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a nice manageable list when you have 8 hours a day to devote to it! This reminds me of the lists I make at the beginning of each summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just reading this wears me out!

    ReplyDelete